Tuesday, February 26, 2013

JJ Heller & More

I've mentioned before that music has a big impact on me.  It's part of my worship, it encourages me, and I often sense God speaking to me through songs.

I first fell in love with JJ Heller about two years ago when my grandma was very ill and we knew her days on earth were numbered.  There's always a specific song that God uses for each difficult patch in my life.  The song for that time (preparing to lose my Grandma) was "Your Hands" by JJ Heller.

My grandma was a rock, a never-ending source of love and stability.  She had overcome leukemia and breast cancer.  She had Alzheimer's, COPD (lung disease), and cancer in her lungs and brain.  And she was still a reflection of light and life.  God gave me as much time as possible to come to terms with her mortality before he actually called her home.

But I still knew that this world--my world--would never be the same without her.

So the words of JJ Heller's song spoke directly to my heart at that time:
I have unanswered prayers
I have trouble I wish wasn't there
And I have asked a thousand ways
That you would take my pain away
You would take my pain away

I am trying to understand
How to walk this weary land
Make straight the paths that crooked lie
Oh Lord, before these feet of mine
Oh Lord, before these feet of mine

When my world is shaking, heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave your hands


When you walked upon the earth
You healed the broken, lost and hurt
I know you hate to see me cry
One day you will set all things right
Yeah, one day you will set all things right

When my world is shaking, heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave your hands


Your hands that shaped the world
Are holding me
They hold me still
Your hands that shaped the world
Are holding me
They hold me still

When my world is shaking, heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave you
When my world is shaking, heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave
I never leave your hands
If you would like to listen to this beautiful song, click here:

Several months ago, a friend sent me another JJ Heller song:  "Someday."  This was the same friend who asked me about my Peace vs. Fear ratio.  Reading the lyrics will tell you why this friend sent me this song.
One day you'll feel the sun
Warming your callused skin
The ropes will come undone
No more wars left to win

Someday my dearest friend
Someday though I don't know when
Oooo you will live in peace.


Your battered heart will soar
Your wounds turned into wings
No one will keep the score
You wouldn't care anyway

Someday my dearest friend
Someday though I don't know when
Oooo you will live in peace.


May you see redemption
On this side of heaven
May you see redemption
On this side of heaven
May you see redemption
On this side of heaven
My friend

Someday my dearest friend
Someday though I don't know when
Oooo you will live

Someday my dearest friend
Someday though I don't know when
Oooo you will live in peace
You can listen to that song here:


I got to thinking about how much these two songs mean to me, so I typed "JJ Heller" into my Pandora app to find related music.  I was not disappointed!

I have been loving listening to the JJ Heller station on Pandora when I exercise or when I'm working on crafts or chores or cleaning.  I wanted to share a few of my favorite songs that have popped up.  Many are old favorites I'd forgotten about, and a couple are new.  {Click on the song titles to listen to the songs on YouTube.}

"The Valley Song" by Jars of Clay

"If You Want Me To" by Ginny Owens

"I Am" by Jill Phillips

"Esther" by Esterlyn

I am sharing these songs because I know that a couple of you are currently feeling your world shake beneath you, are walking through a valley, or are otherwise in need of peace.  These songs stir my spirit, and I'm hoping they speak to you as well.  Sometimes it's soothing just to hear someone else put into words what you're already feeling.  These songs also encourage me because they remind me that struggles are part of this life, but God's presence never wavers.  
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  John 16:33

"For though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again."  Proverbs 24:16a

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."  Psalm 55:22

"The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down."  Psalm 145:15

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11
Hang in there, friends!

Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment