Thursday, May 9, 2013

Low Fat Wheat Waffles

On Sunday we had a nice casual evening at home (me and the kids) after a busy day, so I wanted to make something fun for dinner.

We have "brinner" (breakfast for dinner) fairly regularly, but we usually do pancakes.  I decided it was worth getting out the waffle iron--and cleaning it afterward--to mix it up a bit.

I searched the internet for a wheat waffle mix recipe.  I still wanted our dinner to be somewhat healthy.

I found a great recipe on AllRecipes.com.  I read the recipe and all the reviews, and I made my own modified version.

Low Fat Wheat Waffles


Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (I used natural, no sugar added)
  • 1 tablespoon oil (I used canola)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
Directions:
  1. Separate eggs so yolks are in your main mixing bowl and whites are in a separate bowl.  
  2. Whisk egg yolks, milk, applesauce, oil, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla together.
  3. Mix in both types of flour, mixing just until all ingredients are well incorporated.
  4. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl (with hand mixer or stand mixer) until fluffy.  Fold egg whites into waffle batter.
  5. Cook waffles in pre-heated waffle iron.  Enjoy!
The kids and I really enjoyed these waffles.  They never even suspected that I had used wheat flour or substituted apple sauce for most of the oil.  Our little waffle iron only makes two small square waffles at a time.  We all ate our fill and had 10 waffles leftover.  I put them in bags in the freezer to be toasted and enjoyed later.

Wouldn't it have been nice if I had taken some pictures to show you?  Yeah, I didn't.  I didn't think I was going to blog about this recipe, and I'm not in the habit of photographing our regular dinners.  Then when we loved the waffles so much, I decided I'd share my modified recipe with you.  Plus now I have documentation of my recipe for my own future use! :)

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment