Thursday, May 31, 2012

What's for Dinner?

It's rainy and gray here today, so I'm making Chicken and Noodles for dinner (seems warm and cozy).  I made this recipe for our extended family for Nora's birthday party, and everyone loved it.  I thought I'd share the recipe in case you need a dinner idea.



Chicken and Noodles

Ingredients:
  • Boneless skinless chicken breasts (as many as you'd like; usually 2-4)
  • 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
  • 2 cans Campbell's Chicken Gravy
  • Chicken broth (usually 2 cans, but you can use more or less)
  • 2 bags frozen noodles or one bag extra wide egg noodles (regular dried pasta)
Boil chicken breasts until fully cooked. Shred meat with two forks or dice into small pieces.

Combine the soup, gravy, and chicken in large pot.  Add noodles.  Add chicken broth to reach your desired consistency.  You can add more broth to make it soupier or less broth to make it thicker (remember some broth will be absorbed by the noodles).  Cook on medium/high heat until the noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally.   

Enjoy!


My notes:
  • This recipe can be made in a Crock Pot.  Just watch that your noodles don't get overcooked.
  • I made this several times successfully using the frozen noodles.  Then one night I made it exactly the same, but for some reason the noodles got mushy and almost doughy.  It was gross.  Since then, I use extra wide egg noodles instead.  I find it easier to judge when they are properly cooked.  I even use the wheat egg noodles for a bit of added nutrition.
  • We buy chicken breasts on sale and then transfer them to freezer bags and put them in the freezer.  That way I can pull out chicken whenever I need it (you can see the chicken in my picture is still fairly frozen!).  I keep the canned goods and noodles on hand, so this recipe is a very easy dinner idea even when we're in need of groceries.
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment