Thursday, April 5, 2012

License to Color Eggs

Today was a fantastic day.  Jared took the day off of work, so the morning started out very relaxed.  Then I shifted into get-stuff-done mode.  I cleared off half of my to-do list.

Since my 30th birthday is later this month, I had to go renew my driver's license.  I have managed to always renew my license by mail.  They just send me a sticker with my new expiration date.  One of the perks of being a rule follower.

That's right.  I still have the same driver's license from when I was 16.  Go ahead.  Be impressed. 

However, this time I'm required to take the vision exam, so I had to go into the dreaded Driver's Services Facility.  I was nervous, but I'm pretty sure Jared could have passed that "vision test" even before his LASIK.  

When the worker at the Driver's Services Facility asked if my height and weight are still correct, I literally laughed out loud.  I told her I've gained 40 lbs. since I was 16 {the truth is that I've gained A LOT of weight since then, I've lost 34 lbs. so far this year, and the weight I told her is actually my goal weight}.  

After an awkward photo shoot and a fairly short wait, I was out of there with my new license.  Before today, I think I was the last person in the state of Illinois with the old style license.  As I studied the new weird-looking license, I spotted something awesome.

That semi-crabby lady filled in my weight as only 20 lbs. more than my original 16-year-old weight.  God bless that woman.

Back at home I completed the next project on my craft list.  It's a shirt for my very little friend Dakota (the daughter of my friend Megan).  She's celebrating her 2nd birthday this weekend, and she needed a special shirt for her special day.  Dakota and her brother Jaxon call me "Uncle Jessica," which basically makes me so happy that I will buy and/or make them anything they want.  

Dakota's party theme is lady bugs, and Megan drew me a picture of how she wanted the shirt to look.  Plus she bought the shirt, pre-washed it, and dried it.  Super helpful. 

Here's a sneak peak at the completed shirt.  I hope Dakota doesn't mind me leaking her party outfit.

      
When I made the little bow, I needed a tiny piece of skinny red ribbon for the center.  I found the perfect thing in my Grandma's collection.  It made me so happy because last year for Dakota's birthday, I made her a skirt and shirt.  The skirt was made of fabric from my Grandma's collection.  

 
It warms my heart to inject a little of Grandma into my creations.  I have a hard time parting with her stuff, but I remember how generous she was and how she would want her supplies used up.  "Use it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do, or do without."

After the shirt was completed and delivered, we had my father-in-law over for dinner and our annual Easter egg coloring

This year I bought some of the neon egg dye.  It was awesome!





Nora dipped her eggs no less than 47 times per egg, each time in a different color than the last.  She loved every minute of it.   I highly recommend the neon egg dyes.


My heart was full as I watched the kids enjoying themselves.  We successfully fulfilled another family tradition.

At the end of the night, we let each child choose one snack.  Nolan wanted a fortune cookie (I bought fortune cookies as a fun dessert to go with homemade stir-fry for dinner yesterday).  He was so cute and soft that I consented.  

His fortune was about romance:

It cracked me up since he's only 5.  So I jokingly said to him, "Are you in love with someone that I don't know about?"

His response:  "No.  Just you."

What a perfect day.

Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Nolan. My heart just filled to capacity! Sometimes I wish this time of our life was forever, then my two year old has a meltdown and I'm quuickly swept back into the reality of life. Dakota's shirt is fabulous and I cannot wait to see it all together! Thank you, friend, for loving my family and taking such good care of them, Uncle Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day! If only every day was all of us together with no work. I didn't even know the Nolan fortune cookie story. What a ladies man ;). Great job with another successful Easter Egg coloring night. 3 happy kids, 6 stained hands, one happy family + Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete