Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sweet Spot

I've decided I am in a sweet spot of parenting.

This week I spent time with friends who have younger kids than mine.  They were dealing with things like potty training failures, sippy cups, high chairs, and dirty diapers that could make a grown man cry.  I am very happy to be past these stages.

I also have a friend whose oldest son got his driver's license this week.  I can easily name 57 reasons why I am happy to not be in this stage yet.

My kids are little enough to be adorable and fully enjoyed; however, they are also big enough to be hilarious and a little independent.  I can kiss them as much as I want, and I can send them off to play when I need a moment.

Two of my three kids can take a shower independently.  Two of the three can get their own breakfast.  They can all dress themselves and get their own shoes on.  They can all wipe their own rears.

It's not all easy and enjoyable.  I mean, how many times do I have to explain that I can't hear you from the other side of the house?  You have to come to me to talk to me.  Is there a limit to the number of times I can repeat myself before my head actually explodes?  If all three of my kids are separated from each other for 6.5 hours per day, why can't they get along for five minutes after they're all reunited?  And why is it that the only magical ability my kids have been given is the ability to turn a cup of 6 oz. of milk into 4 gallons simply by dropping the filled cup on the floor?

I think parenting goes in cycles.  A difficult behavior arises, the parents stress out and work hard to face the behavior head-on, and eventually the behavior is overcome or the child masters the difficult skill and everything calms down.  After a little time, the cycle repeats.

We've had times where all 3 kids were in the difficult part of the cycle.  We've had one kid complete a cycle only to have the next kid start up with the rough part as soon as we got the first kid in the calm part of the cycle.  It can be so exhausting.

This week has been a time of all 3 of my kids in the good part of the parenting cycle.  And, as previously stated, their ages are right in a sweet spot.  So this has been a great week for me as a mom.

Which is significant to me since my husband has been out of the country.  That's not so sweet.  I guess you can't win 'em all.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment