Friday, September 28, 2012

Homemade Hummus

Jared and I both love hummus.  Two factors came together beautifully today:  I had a major craving for hummus and we re-organized our canned goods and remembered that we had a can of chickpeas and a jar of roasted red peppers. 

A few clicks on my laptop and I had brought up this recipe I had bookmarked awhile back.  You can easily follow this recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.

Here are the main ingredients I used:


I had purchased the Garbanzo Beans and the roasted red peppers at our local discount grocery store (Food Depot, for you locals) for around $0.50 each.  I've just had them on hand waiting for the right recipe.  I keep minced garlic in my fridge for times when I don't have time to get fresh garlic from the store. 

I didn't have a fresh lemon, so I used bottled lemon juice (also a fridge staple).  And I didn't have tahini, nor do I even know what it is, so I just omitted it from the recipe altogether.

I drained the chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) and kept the liquid.


Then I added all the other ingredients to the food processor, forgot to take a picture, and blended it all together for a couple minutes.  I added a little of the reserved liquid from the chickpeas until the hummus was the right consistency.  I had to blend for several minutes to get it smooth.


I put it in a plastic container and refrigerated it to let all the flavors meld together.

I always eat my hummus with pita chips, but my friend told me she likes to eat hers with fresh cucumber.  Funny that I go for the unhealthy option first.  :) 

This made a delicious, cheap, easy snack!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment