Saturday, August 25, 2012

Homemade Marshmallow S'mores Treats

Several years ago, I decided I wanted a new baking challenge.  During my Food Network obsession, I saw Alton Brown make homemade marshmallows, and I knew I had to try it for myself.

Once I mastered the homemade marshmallows, I tried dressing them up.  I made strawberry flavored mallows and half-dipped some in chocolate.  I made mint flavored mallows and chocolate-flavored mallows.  I made Easter shaped mallows and dipped the edges in colorful sugar.  I covered a pan of mallows with caramel, chocolate, and peanuts.  I took my mallow creations to family get-togethers to get feedback.

The most popular mallow creation was definitely my s'mores treats.  These have become my yearly contribution to my family's Christmas Eve gathering.

My oldest nephew recently turned 13 (yikes!).  When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he said, "your famous marshmallow, graham cracker, chocolatey thingies."

So I was happy to pull out my Christmas recipe in the middle of summer in order to make my nephew happy.

I took pictures of the whole process so you can see how I make them.  I use this recipe for homemade marshmallows.  I make them in a 9x13 pan.  Once they're cooled and set (overnight), I cut them into squares (using a pizza cutter) and dip them into melted semi-sweet chocolate (melted in the microwave).  Then I coat them in graham cracker crumbs (I just crush them in a gallon size bag using a rolling pin).  Then I let them set (for a few hours).

So, here's what it looks like:



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Any questions?

Jessica 

1 comment:

  1. You shared the secret marshmallow recipe!!??!! These look amazing! Gracen is a very smart fella, I'd say! And this post reminds me, I still don't own a candy thermometer. I look at them every once in awhile when I'm shopping, but they don't seem as sturdy as my mom's.

    ReplyDelete