|This is Abby's costume. It's a Nom Nom.|
One of my favorite things about being able to sew is that I can fix things. So Abby's costume came to stay with me for a bit.
I had to give it some thought but here's what I came up with for the fix.
I carefully used my seam ripper to remove the stitching from the seam under the sleeve (running from the armpit to the sleeve band).
I cut strips from some scraps of interfacing, and ironed them onto the sleeve fabric on either side of the seam I just opened up. This step may not have been necessary, but I could see that the costume fabric was very cheap and would rip easily. So I just wanted to reinforce it.
I pressed each edge under (toward the inside of the sleeve).
I cut a piece of elastic from scraps I had on hand. I didn't measure. I just eyeballed it on one sleeve and cut the other piece of elastic to match.
I sewed along each side of the sleeve opening, attaching the elastic as I sewed. I tried to line up the elastic with the sleeve band.
I was going to call it done, but then I remembered that I am the proud owner of a wheel of Sharpies.
I colored the elastic on each sleeve. It's not amazing but will hopefully blend better with the costume.