Inspired by this wreath that I recently spotted on Instagram, I made a new modern wreath for our front door.
I had some navy and white striped fabric left over from a previous project. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought two embroidery hoops, some heavy duty Heat & Bond, and some fake succulents. I had the white ribbon on hand already.
I love succulents. They're like a plant-flower hybrid. I really want some live ones in my house. But at least now I found an excuse to get some fake ones!
I decided to use an 18" embroidery hoop and a 12" hoop. I just liked these proportions.
I started by laying the bigger hoop on my fabric and cutting a square of fabric that was a little bigger than the hoop.
Then I cut a matching size (ish) square of the Heat & Bond.
I followed the package instructions and ironed the Heat & Bond to the back of my fabric. This isn't strictly necessary but it gives the fabric more thickness and stiffness.
The next step was to cut out a donut-shaped piece of my fabric. Mmm donuts.
I chose to separate the two rings of my bigger embroidery hoop and trace around the inner ring. You could also trace around the outer ring and just cut a little inside your line so your fabric doesn't hang outside the hoop.
Next I traced my inner circle. I laid the smaller hoop on the fabric and measured all around it to make sure it was centered. C'mon people, you knew I would be obsessive. I traced inside the small hoop and knew I'd have to cut just outside the line to avoid having fabric show in the middle of the wreath.
I cut out the fabric donut.
My glue gun had been heating up while I was
You may have noticed that I chose to place the screw-clasp-closure-thingy on the very top of the big embroidery hoop and in the bottom right region of the smaller embroidery hoop. I knew my succulents would cover said thingy on the smaller hoop.
I had picked up some random fake succulents from Hobby Lobby. I used wire cutters to cut off the stems. I played around with the arrangement and then hot glued them to my wreath.
I got a white ribbon from my endless hoard of ribbons and fed it between the two rings of the big embroidery hoop. Luckily I hadn't glued them together. I tied a pretty bow. Then I realized that it would be slightly twisted if I hung it on my wreath hanger as-is. So I grabbed a white pipe cleaner, fed it through the knot of the bow, twisted the ends, and made a ring.
That made it hand straight forward on my wreath hanger. When I put it up on our front door, I had to retie the bow because the wreath hung too low.
|Don't we wish that my front door was painted a fun color?|
Yes, it's crooked in this picture. Yes, I fixed it. No, I didn't take a new picture.
So I accomplished something. I did something creative for the first time in quite awhile. It did come at a price. When Nolan and I went to Hobby Lobby for these supplies, he was suffering with a colossal headache. We had to stop three different times for him to lay down on the floor in Hobby Lobby. While other shoppers and employees looked at us like we were loony. But lying flat eased the pain and then we could make it through a few more aisles. I felt terribly selfish for dragging him to Hobby Lobby. But we are trying to get to a new normal where we don't just shut ourselves at home and lay around trying not to anger his pain. So I made a wreath. Apparently that is part of my new normal.