Thursday, April 4, 2013

Greek Yogurt

I have heard so much about Greek yogurt lately, but I still didn't quite understand what all the hype was about.

Of course I used my friend Google to help me solve the mystery.

The most helpful article I found was entitled Greek Yogurt Vs. Regular Yogurt:  Which Is More Healthful?  I recommend reading it if you're as curious as I was about Greek Yogurt.

Once I understood Greek yogurt a little better, I wanted to check out what's available at my local grocery store (Kroger).

I started by purchasing two kinds:

Greek Yogurt with Caramelized Almonds
Greek Yogurt with Honey

I liked both kinds--with almonds and with honey.  So then I bought the Kroger brand Greek yogurt with honey and crushed some almonds to mix in.  I loved the combination! 

However, the calories and fat were creeping up when I ate my little concoction.  So I wanted to see what I could do with some plain or vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt.

I'll share my favorite use for each (plain and vanilla).


I mixed a little Ranch dressing seasoning into plain nonfat Greek yogurt to make a pretzel dip.  It's so tasty!  And one little cup of this Ranch dip keeps well in the fridge and lasts me several days.

For a sweeter version, I started with vanilla Greek yogurt.


I mixed in about a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and a sprinkling of cinnamon.  It made a delicious apple dip.  This version also keeps well in the fridge and is enough for about three apples or so per cup of yogurt.  (I wasn't sure if I would need a whisk or mixer, but the peanut butter just mixed right in with a good old fashioned spoon.)

Since I've been experimenting with different brands and flavors of Greek yogurt, I have discovered that the kind with honey irritates my sensitive stomach (Is it the yogurt?  The honey?  The almonds I add?  Who knows).  I haven't had any trouble with the other kinds though.  Greek yogurt also has a much lower lactose level than regular yogurt, and the live cultures help your stomach digest it.  So it's worth a try if you're lactose intolerant.

Just wanted to share another new food I've tried!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment